Skip to content
Chapter 5: Sustainable Development
- The Industrial Revolution, as it diffused from its hearth, facilitated improvements in standards of living.
- Measures of development are used to understand patterns of social and economic differences at a variety of scales.
- Development is a process that varies across space and time.
- Sustainable development is a strategy to address resource depletion and environmental degradation.
- Where did the Industrial Revolution begin and how did it diffuse?
- How have the character and geography of industrial production changed?
- How have service industries altered global economic activity?
- How is development defined and measured?
- How does geographical situation affect development?
- What are the barriers to and the costs of economic development?
- How do political and economic institutions influence uneven development?